Increase Interstate Exchange of PDMP Data
- It has legislation enabling it to share live patient data with other states
- It has identified at least one other state to serve as an exchange partner
- It either has a memorandum of understanding to share with the identified exchange partner(s) or has ratified the Prescription Drug Monitoring Interstate Compact
This is necessary as most PDMPs don't detect doctor shopping across state border at the moment. To address this effectively, all of the PDMPs should be linked to each other and integrated with patients' electronic medical records. "Ultimately, health care providers are the front-line defense against prescription drug diversion."
How To Join RxCheck HubRxCheck Connection-Technical Assistance Guide
PDMP Interstate Data Sharing Status Map:
Board of Pharmacy's PDMP InterConnect HUB28 states currently belong to this hub, and most states in the United states are authorized to share data in this way. In addition, PMPInterConnect is now able to link up with one of the other major hubs, RxCheck.
In total, 44 states are authorized to share their Prescription Drug Monitoring data across state lines.
PMP InterConnect Map of Participants
Connecting to PMP InterConnect
- Execute a single memorandum of understanding (MOU) with NABP, and
- Build an interface to connect to PMP InterConnect.
NABP staff is available to assist PMP directors in these two steps:
- Connecting state PMPs to the NABP legal team to build necessary state-specific language into the MOU, and
- Facilitating initial connections between NABP’s technology solution provider Appriss, Inc, and the states’ vendors.
States may obtain the MOU by emailing.
PMP InterConnect is a way to link participating state PMPs. If practitioners, pharmacists, or other PMP users wish to obtain multistate PMP data, they should contact their home-state PMP directly, as access is granted through the specific state PMP. The state must be participating in PMP InterConnect in order for the individual to obtain multistate data.
Tools & Resources
Potential Objective Details(Under Construction)
Potential Measures and Data Sources(Under Construction)
Potential Actions and Partners(Under Construction)
Resources to Investigate
More RTI on Increase Interstate Exchange of PDMP Data
PAGE MANAGER: [insert name here]
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT: [fill out table below]
- .MillmanEmailEmailBioBioFollowFollowReporter, J. M. closeJason. (n.d.). How prescription drug abusers are cheating the system by shopping across state lines. Retrieved November 24, 2019, from Washington Post website: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/12/08/how-prescription-drug-abusers-are-cheating-the-system-by-shopping-across-state-lines/
- Prescription Monitoring Information Exchange (PMIX) Architecture | The PDMP Training and Technical Assistance Center. (n.d.). Retrieved November 24, 2019, from http://www.pdmpassist.org/content/prescription-drug-monitoring-information-architecture-pmix
- Although Relatively Few, “Doctor Shoppers” Skew Opioid Prescribing. (2014, May 27). Retrieved November 24, 2019, from https://archives.drugabuse.gov/news-events/nida-notes/2014/05/although-relatively-few-doctor-shoppers-skew-opioid-prescribing
- MillmanEmailEmailBioBioFollowFollowReporter, J. M. closeJason. (n.d.). How prescription drug abusers are cheating the system by shopping across state lines. Retrieved November 24, 2019, from Washington Post website: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/12/08/how-prescription-drug-abusers-are-cheating-the-system-by-shopping-across-state-lines/