Return to Improve Safe Storage of Prescription Drugs
- Work with community organizations to spread information on the importance of safe storage of prescription drugs.
- Reach out to manufacturers of safe storage products to get special bulk pricing and delivery so the coalition can offer the product at a discount.
- Reach out to community foundations to see if they would consider funding a subsidy program that would cover 1/2 the cost of a safe storage product.
- Develop a campaign for faith communities, landlords and property managers to offer the special pricing (perhaps through the Health Department) of safe storage products.
- Work with the local health department to work with their state to allocate some of the federal funding allotted to the states to support safe storage efforts.
- Find a sponsor to buy TimerCaps to distribute in the community. (Link to program details.)
- See idea for a Community Safe Storage Campaign in the Tools & Resources
- Faith Communities - educating people about the importance of safe storage of prescription drugs, letting them know about special discount and/or subsidy programs, buy storage in bulk
- Real Estate Professionals (taking steps to reduce theft during open houses)
- Residential Property Managers would be motivated to minimize having unsecured prescription drugs on their property (as that could increase crime or opioid misuse among residents)
- Manufacturers of safe storage products (offering discounts or providing educational materials)
- National Organizations that help communities promote safe storage of prescription drugs: SafeHomes Coalition
- Employers -- they suffer serious financial impacts when their employees or their employees' family members begin to misuse opioids.
- Doctors -- helping collect data on how many people use safe storage, and pointing people to resources for safe storage
- Pharmacists -- helping collect data on how many people use safe storage, and pointing people to resources for safe storage
- Barbershops and Hair Salons -- They are in contact with many people in a community, and they could be a partner in helping to get the word out.