Return to Improve Non-Prescription Access to Sterile Syringes through Pharmacies
- Identify state laws regarding pharmacies and OTC syringe purchasing
- Create and conduct training for pharmacists to dispel stigma around injection drug use
- Identify pharmacies selling OTC syringes and which ones distribute prevention information
- Distribute materials for purcharsers of OTC syringes including: information on how to access drug treatment and HIV and HCV testing and treatment, as well as information about safe syringe disposal
- Create map for community with location of pharmacies that sell OTC syringes
- Encourage the pharmacies you work with to sell syringes, based on patient need.
- If your healthcare center is able, consider donating sterile syringes, biohazard containers, alcohol pads or safer sex supplies to syringe exchange programs.
- Local Health Department